Building of the vise chop is pretty much the same as the rest of the bench has been. Adding the square bench dog hole strip worked the same as when done on the main work surface. A bit of oak here, some black walnut there, and a dab of cherry for extra color. After figuring the process out on the main work surface this was relatively easy, just make sure the dog angle is in the other orientation.
The main challenge here is attaching the vise to the chop and the main work surface. It’s been so long since we built the base parts for the metal slide that we spent a fair amount of time double checking how we thought it was going to work.
The next step was to square up the bench side of the vise face and flatten the long edge of the bench top where the vise attaches. Squaring up the first half of the face was fairly simple, a cross cut on the table saw with the blade fully extended cut just over half way through. The rest was cut with a hand saw and tweaked with a wide chisel. Nothing tough, just took a bit of patience.
The long cut was more challenging, we initially tried to rip it on the table saw, but there was just to much mass to keep it straight against the fence. I just ended up using a hand plane, across the grain to get it close, then with the grain and skewed for the final cuts. The part closest to the vise face was the most difficult, cross grain cuts with a smoother and a little bit of chisel work made it nice.
Hopefully next we can tweak the vise components and attach it.