The final steps on this Ohio Tool Co 21″ jointer. Replace the button, attach the tote and apply some finish, then we get to try it out.
conned asked Brad if he would turn a new button for the front of the plane and the next time I was in the shop he had it done. He went through a couple of pine test versions. First was to get the correct depth, the second was to make it comfortably snug. The third and final version was in beech and was bang on or should I say we had to drive it to full depth. It was a perfect fit, I didn’t have to glue it in. I figure if it shrinks more than the plane itself over an upcoming winter I should be able to pull it out and add a bit of hide glue, but for now it has a comfortably snug fit and won’t likely come out.
I put more thought into reattaching the tote than necessary, not like you haven’t overthought something. The tote was loose enough that I didn’t feel that glue alone would be adequate. The tote sat lower in the mortise than it should by more than an 1/8th inch. So a shim of sorts is needed to get it to the correct height. I made up a beech shim that was reasonably close to thickness and that filled the bulk of the void. After a couple of test fits some hide glue was applied to the shim and tote. With a light smack from a dead blow hammer it seated well and hopefully wont come loose for decades. The result was simple and elegant, and most importantly it worked well.
For finish I have opted to use raw linseed oil. The first coat I kept applying the raw linseed oil until it didn’t take any more. This was probably 3 to 4 rounds fairly close together in time. I let it sit for about 15 minutes then wiped the plane down to remove any excess. After about a day, I applied a second coat, this time was just one application. Again I let it sit for 15 minutes, then I wiped off the excess. This gave the plane a nice warm look once again, it was looking anemic from being cleaned. I will likely apply coat of antique oil after I know the plane is fully dried, which wont be for weeks or likely months. Even after sitting for a week, it leaches a little onto a wood surface that the plane sits on for a while. So I know its not dry yet even though I can handle it and its not tacky.
With the plane all cleaned up and a sharp iron I setup a nice dry pieced of construction grade white pine 2×4 on edge and took a swipe. To my amazement the shaving shot out of the mouth with very little effort in pushing the plane. Brad and I went back and forth testing different adjustments and different woods. We noticed that it would jam up when the cap iron was set to close to the cutting edge, the left horn on the wedge seems to catch once in a while and jam, and face grain rock hard maple didn’t plane all that great. Edge planing just about anything was a breeze. The lighter the hand, the better it would cut. I still have a few tweaks with the left horn on the wedge, but other than that it’s a great user, so much so that I look forward to getting more of the woodies I have ready for use.
Thanks again to the coworker that found this plane for a dollar!