Small Coffin Smoother Cleanup (Part 2) The Wood

The wood portions of the small coffin smoother were in reasonably good shape. A little dry, a bit grimy and a one small crack to fix.

Small dirty coffin smoother, front left side.
Small dirty coffin smoother, front left side.

First to get rid of the dirt and grime. Some of you might think this is a bit harsh but it has worked well for me on other planes so I did it again, besides this is a user not a valuable wall hanger. With a little help from Murphy’s Orange Oil Soap, a bit of water, and a soft abrasive pad the work went pretty quick. I scrubbed just enough to get the grimy parts cleaned up.  This took less than 10 minutes to do, and it certainly did a nice job.

Cleaned up small coffin smoother.
Cleaned up small coffin smoother.

I use the air hose to get rid of the surface moisture and to help shorten the dry time. While it was drying I started up the glue pot to get the Old Brown Glue ready to use. Once the glue was ready, I put a couple of drops into the crack behind the eye near the bed. The crack isn’t that large, so I used a piece of paper to move the glue into the crack. I attached a couple of clamps and let it set over night. With almost no effort at all I was able to wipe off the excess hide glue with damp paper towel.

Coffin smoother clamped to glue a small split.
Coffin smoother clamped to glue a small split.

While cleaning the wedge I noticed one of the points was splintered. This would explain some of the hung up shavings while I was testing the plane. I attempted to glue the splinters together, it only helped a little bit. I trimmed the ends a little to make them smooth once again and that seemed to help. I will need to do some more tweaking of the wedge points as I don’t think they are quite right.

Repaired wedged tip from small coffin smoother.
Repaired wedged tip from small coffin smoother.

After the glue had fully set over night it was time to do some glue cleanup, oh wait that’s right I previously wiped it off with a damp rag and there was nothing left to clean up at this point. I really like hide glue for this particular situation.

Next I applied a couple of light coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish to all touchable surfaces, except for the location where the wedge and plane body touch. Then a light application of wax to finish things up. I am very pleased with the results and look forward to using it on future projects.

Leave a Reply