The leg assemblies are finally coming together. With a little bit of cleanup done to the glue its onto making the top of the leg assembly flat. We discussed using the table saw but we can’t get a wide enough single cut so we opted to give the jointer a shot at it. We only had to take a strong 1/4″ off anyway so its nothing huge.
We tossed the first assembly up on the jointer and gave it a shot. It worked pretty well, so we took several more passes and now the tops are flat enough. This worked better than I had expected, though I’m not sure why we were so hesitant to try it.
Now we need to plug the holes in the bottom of the tenons. It was a messy ordeal because of the glue and the number of clamps but its done. Again, this is one of those spots to make sure you clean up the glue as you go, its just so much easier since we can’t get most tools into the tight spaces.
Once the glue was setup we were able to put the leg assemblies onto the table saw and trim the feet off. We triple checked the thickness of the top and accommodated for what we think is going to be planed off at the planer. The top will be 3-3/4″ thick, with a planned height of 34″, that leaves 30-1/4″ for the leg height. It was two passes per foot and a bit awkward to hold. But we got the process down and were able to cut them with ease, and they are parallel to the top.
Next we drill for the pegs and bolts into the bench top.