Portable Bench Build (Part 7) Front Leg Final Glue Up

The day started out with cleaning up a few of the mortises. Doing so at this stage is much simpler than doing it after its fully together is quite wise. A 4″+ deep mortise isn’t a lot of fun for me, not even with the help of a great paring chisel.

Side view of front legs fully glued up.
Side view of front legs fully glued up.

Then onto jointing the faces to be glued. Again the jointer to the rescue.

Spread some glue on and quick into the clamps. Now for the 20 minute wait for it to set. At this point glue up has become nearly second nature. The bench is setup and ready to go with clamps in short reach.

Other end view of front legs fully glued up.
Other end view of front legs fully glued up.

During the wait, we started to figure out what we were going to do for the top. Longer glue ups with butt joints. The plan was to do as we did on the shorter versions, just use more clamps and spread them out slightly if we needed to.

End view of front legs fully glued up.
End view of front legs fully glued up.

During the wait much though went into the layout of the boards for the top. Always trying to plan ahead and take advantage of the down time while waiting for the glue to tack up well. Out of the clamps, cleaned up and wait for it to fully cure before machining.

Next we split the legs and work on more machining.

Leave a Reply