Next up on the diamond sharpening experiments is to get my plow plane irons in reasonable shape. I thought it would be interesting to see how well these stones cut on larger steel, and some that has fairly deep pitting.
These irons were purchased on Ebay a few weeks ago and I have longer term plans to make a plow plane to fit them. Most of the irons are in pretty reasonable shape, they just need flattening and then to be sharpened. Previously I would have started on coarse sand paper for the really bad ones. Then moved through the grits on my water stones. This time around I am working with the diamond stones.
I started with the extra coarse, this made quick work on the pitting and the ones that needed reshaping. It also worked great to get the backs flat. I then progressed through the coarse, fine, extra fine, and extra extra fine. Some I spent a little extra time on in comparison to others. But no single one was longer than what I would have spent on water stones. Never mind the extra mess or flattening that would have been done. I used a bit of water and occasionally some Simple Green on them, but considerably less mess during the process, and cleanup after was way easier too. A quick spray with a water bottle and they were clean again. I even used less water. I’m quite impressed, although I am sure most will grumble about the price, I am not one of them.
I have taken these through approximately 8000 grit, which is likely more than enough. But in the sense of putting the final touches on, I will likely touch them up on my 10,000 grit water stone for a few passes, and either buff them on the wheel or strop them. In all cases I just followed the existing bevel, there is quite a bit of difference in some of them.
If you haven’t picked a sharpening method yet, seriously consider diamond stones.